Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Memorable Weekend


Hey, guys!  How was your Memorial Day weekend?  Besides a thunderous outpouring of rain on the actual day, my holiday weekend was pretty cool.  I wish I had taken more pics to document all my goings on, but I inadvertently got caught up in a whirlwind of events and didn't really have a chance to.  And out of the sporadic opportunities that did arise, many felt awkward because of the circumstances and people involved.  But I did manage some holiday pics (mainly the food portion with a dash of fashion thrown in).  So, without further ado, here's a glimpse of what transpired...


The weekend started off with a "bang" of sorts.  Birthday Boy sent me a surprise care package of sweets that included a box of homemade macarons made by one of his co-workers.  If you follow me on Twitter then you know that I absolutely L.O.V.E. macarons and recently found a recipe to whip some up myself!  So, I was revved up to try another enthusiast's rendition of the French pastry.  Alas, B-Boy did not properly pack the delicate assortment of sea salt caramel and strawberry confections, and they arrived in shambles... but were still edible!  I gathered up the broken, sugary shards and stuffed them into my mouth with total abandon (think I didn't when I did?  Pul-eeze!).  And I'm happy to report that they were totally DEE-LISH!


Later, I accompanied a mixed group of family and friends to one of the well-known, local barbecue spots in the area - sorta like a BBQ before the official BBQ on Memorial Day.  It's not like me to order soup as an appetizer, but that night I did and went for a serving of their New England clam chowder.  It may look a little bland in the photo, but when I tell you that the soup was hearty and lip smacking good, please believe me!  DEE-LISH, the sequel!

 
Now, I'm no BBQ aficionado and have never knowingly had brisket before, but everything from the steamed broccoli to the cornbread muffin to the baked sweet potato hidden away in foil in the upper right-hand corner tasted on point.  The beef was nicely seasoned and didn't even need the variations of squeeze-on BBQ sauces that were gathered on the table.


The next day was filled with early morning shenanigans as I was invited to attend a women's social event that was being held at a nearby country club.  Inspired by the rare occasion to get gussied up, I snapped a mirror-selfie of me in my black cloverleaf printed dress and black espadrilles.  A mirror-selfie that was ultimately photo-bombed by a little cutie that innocently wandered into frame...


And so the day, Memorial Day, arrived and my dad and I ended up going to his friend's house for barbecue.  The food was good and I wanted so badly to take pics, but I was seated amongst a sea of strangers in a small livingroom and thought it would be weird (perhaps even a bit rude) if I just started taking snapshots of my plate.  I mean, they didn't know me from Eve and when I say that all eyes were on me, please believe it.  So, please accept this delectable array of cupcakes as a consolation prize.  I took it the day after the holiday while shopping for other things.  You know me and how easily I get distracted by sugar...  And to have such a fancy selection being offered by a grocery store?  A rare find, at least in my eyes.


So, there you have it.  That was pretty much the gist of what I got into this past weekend.  I'm still in the midst of my transition/move and feel out of sorts with all my things being in tubs, boxes and bags, but the holiday was a welcomed distraction from all of that.  I got to spend it with family and met some cool people in the interim, so I can't complain.

I hope you guys, too, had a terrific holiday!  And can you believe it?  Summer has now officially begun!  Summer is HERE, y'all!  Wooooo-hooooo!  BRING.  IT.  ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment