Friday, February 15, 2013

An Unexpected Find...


Guess what I found, guys?  I had heard that theBalm products were being sold at different discount department stores like T.J. Maxx a while ago, but never seemed to spot any of their goodies at my local stores.  Oh, sure... I would see the occasional tube of tinted moisturizer or miscellaneous skincare product, but nothing close to what others were finding at their local stores.  Well, I finally hit pay dirt!  Besides copping a jar of some awesome body butter from Giovanni, I finally got my hands on theBalm's eyeshadow palette Shady Lady!  But first, let's talk about the butter...


If you read my post Holding On then you're already familiar with my affair with Giovanni's chocolate sugar scrub.  So when I saw this on the shelf, I just had to check it out.  It's called Touch Body Butter and I got it in Cucumber Song.


Now anybody familiar with shopping at one of these types of discount stores already knows that you purchase certain items at your own peril, especially beauty products.  Therefore, I made sure to go through every last jar that was on the shelf and closely inspect it to make sure it was not molested in any way.  I looked at it from every angle, smelled it and even walked into different lighting to be sure there were no nasty fingerprints or heebie jeebies festering in the jars.  This one passed inspection with flying colors.


Cucumber Song is a thick, creamy, emollient butter that carries a very light cucumber-esque scent.  The scent does linger on the skin but, again, is light and not intrusive.


Next up is theBalm's Shady Lady: a collection of nine beautiful eyeshadows (some of which can be used wet as eyeliner) conveniently packed in a slim cardboard palette.



The palette comes in a sleeve adorned with the same cheetah print and Shady Lady silhouette logo.



Besides housing nine gorgeous colors, the flip-open palette also has a mirror and a magnetized closure.


And when I tell you that not only are the colors divine, but they are so soft and feel like buttah... please believe me.  They are so nicely pigmented and buttery smooth!  I couldn't wait to get my hands in them and swatch away.  Oh, and you know I put her under the same scrutiny I did the body butter and this one was totally perfect!

Top row: Caught In the Act Courtney, Shameless Shana and Luscious Lani


Middle row: Jealous Jordana, Risqué Renee and Curvy Cami


Bottom row: Jet-Setting Jennifer, All About Alex and Easy Wheezie


What a score, right?  It took some searching paired with some meticulous examining, but I am so glad I was able to nab some pretty awesome products.  For those that don't know, theBalm made three versions or volumes of the Shady Lady palette, of which I bought the first.  I am so thoroughly impressed by the quality of the shadows in Vol. 1 that I am going to roll the dice and go back and search for an unmolested Vol. 2.  They had some Vol. 3 palettes, but they were clearly fingered and swatched and messed around with. 

And so I may be late to the party on this one because Shady Lady has been out for a while, but I'm just glad I finally got the invite!   Woo-hoo!

theBalm Shady Lady can be found at Sephora, beauty.com or theBalm.com for $39.50; it may also be found at select stores such as T.J. Maxx and/or Marshalls - price is about half retail or less, depending on location.

Giovanni Touch Body Butter can be found at some natural food stores (prices vary) and T.J. Maxx for 3.99, depending on availability and location.

No comments:

Post a Comment