Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Recession Proof

What is wrong with me? Seriously, what? My girlfriend and I just got laid off today (along with seven others) and I am thrilled! Excited! Relieved... While the world is breaking down and falling apart financially, I am standing tall and rejoicing in my newly garnered freedom. While the local and national news bemoan the economy and sow seeds of hysteria, I am oddly at peace and excited about the future. I absolutely HATED my job and didn't want to waste another minute in it. And now I won't.

It's so funny how things work out. I had been praying a while for God to get me out of my "situation". I always prefaced my entreaties with thanksgiving and gratitude, but had grown increasingly tired of the monotony of the job and expressed that to Him. I wanted Him to take me to a place where I could be truly happy or at least provide with me the opportunity to get to that place. I no longer wanted to be "living for the weekend". I wanted every day to be like a weekend where I could spend time doing what I love and loving what I did. Otherwise, what's the point? I mean, really... Is that all there is to life? God said that He wants us to live life abundantly. That means in overflow!! Not just enough but more than enough!

So my girlfriend and I immediately gathered our things after being dismissed from our positions and went to Barnes and Noble to have coffee, honey. We laughed and joked and questioned out loud, "Are we crazy?" She had grown tired of the job, too, and wanted to be home to spend more time with her 10mos. old son.

At twelve o'clock, we met and had lunch with our other girlfriend who was shocked by our demeanor after being told what had transpired earlier. The three of us whooped it up and had the best lunch ever at the Cheesecake Factory!

So what's wrong with me? How can I rejoice after having been laid off during this terrible economic downturn? I am now officially unemployed, but how come I don't feel like a casualty?

I rejoice because I know who I am
I rejoice because I know who I serve
I rejoice because I know that all things work together for the good for them that love the Lord

I rejoice because I am no longer chained to a job...

What in the world is wrong with me?
We're in a recession, for goodness sake!




1 comment:

  1. so while i'm crying my eyeballs out and missing my girls (and guy)...and stuck on a call having to eat a stale hot dog @ my desk. you all are living it up at cheesecake. fabo!

    YOU ARE CRAZY!

    nevertheless...this helped me a lot! thanks.

    see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete