Friday, December 13, 2013

Buxom Or Bust


For Black Friday, I picked up another promo item from another brand I had never tried before.  Well, I have an eyeshadow duo from Bare Minerals that I love, but I've never tried anything from Buxom, another offshoot of the brand.  To be honest, it was a last minute grab to round up my total purchase so I could qualify for free shipping.  It's an eye/lip duo from Buxom called Curtain Call.




First out the box is a miniature version of their Sculpted Lash Mascara in Blackest Black.  Now if you read my last post, you know that I need another mini mascara like I need a hole in my head.  But, alas, I have another to add to my ever-growing collection.



Sculpted Lash is a vitamin-rich, eyelash indulgence that boasts an "S" shaped wand covered in nylon/rubber bristles.  I don't fuss over mascaras, therefore, I haven't tried this out yet.  However, I do kinda prefer rubber bristles over the bushy variety because of their associated formulas and because the rubber ones tend to define my lashes more, whereas the bushy bristles leave my lashes looking... well, bushier.  It's like using a comb vs. a brush.  So, just judging from the bristles, I think this will fare well in my book.


And then there's the full-size sampling of their Full-On Lip Stick in Amsterdam, which is a soft, rosy nude.  It is a chrome-y, twist-up lip pencil complete with a removable sharpener tucked into its base.  It is infused with lip-softening vitamins and is paraben-free.






Okay, I'm going to start with the good first.  It has a light, sweet smell to it that I found to be pleasant and not overwhelming.  It applied smoothly and left a slightly tingly, cooling sensation on my lips that I believe is all a part of the "plumping" aspect of the lipstick.  Again, it wasn't unpleasant.

Okay, now the not-so-good.  On my lips and complexion, it was semi-opaque and required several passes to even update my pout to a "barely there" look.  Although the formula glides on and has a hint of shine like a satin, it settled into the lines on my lips like a matte, so prepping your mouth ahead of time is essential.  Only after applying a complementing lip gloss did this end up looking acceptable on me, at least by my standards.  And Amsterdam totally did a disappearing act by midday, leaving hardly any evidence of color after I ate.

So, I have a few more items I'm going to share with you later on down the line, but I have to say that I was a little disappointed with this one.  I mean, I'm going to make it work... but this will be my last and final Curtain Call; my curiosity has been quelled with Buxom for now, so I think I'll just stick to the eyeshadows on the Bare Minerals side until further notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment