Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Low Mane-tenance


I was watching a video clip online of a woman doing her hair and nearly passed out when I saw her take a bristled brush to her wet mane.  Now I am totally aware that salons use round, bristled brushes to do blowouts and such, but seeing this brush take such a tight hold of her locks as she raked it through to the ends made me cringe.  For me and my head, this technique would not work; I would be bald.  OK, not "naked head" bald, but my hair would not be able to withstand such tension, especially while wet, and would snap off.  And I consider my hair to be pretty strong.  But everybody has their own hair routine and tools with which to perform it... which is why I wanted to come do a quick jotting and list mine for possible comparisons. 


Whether wet or dry, I always use a wide-tooth comb to tame and style my tresses.  It causes less stress and strain when trying to detangle hair (especially that of the textured variety), which in turn minimizes damage via breakage.


The only time I use a smaller toothed or rat tail comb is when I need to part my hair for a style or when I dry trim my ends.  The smaller spaces between its teeth provide a soft tension that allows me to be more precise while cutting my hair. 


My initial balking aside, I actually do use a brush on my hair when it's wet; however, I prefer to employ either a rubber or paddle brush for such purposes in lieu of a bristled one.  I own one of each and they're both Denmans.



Again, it's the wide setting of the nylon teeth combined with the hair smoothing rubber base that aids in manipulating my drenched hair in a safer, non-combative way.  I primarily use my rubber brush when detangling, working leave-ins and styling products through, and blow-drying.


I do utilize my paddle brush on occasion, but that's usually only when I've misplaced my rubber one (which isn't often).  Worth noting, I have noticed that my hair becomes a lot fuller when using the padded paddle brush.  Either way, I love them both.

 
Now, the only time I use a bristled brush is when I need to brush my hairline or edges for perhaps a ponytail or French roll.  If my hair is pulled back, I might use it then.  But that's the only time!  And never on my wet hair!  I did that once years ago and ended up with a crop circle of broken hairs shooting from the crown of my head!  Not cute.  So, yeah... NEVER AGAIN!



And lastly, I cut my hair with small styling shears.  I don't use sewing scissors or utility scissors or craft scissors, but actual hair scissors sharpened and designed exclusively for cutting hair.  This is very important because a dull or mediocre blade will cause ends to be ragged and split.  Granted, I don't have the expensive kind many of the professionals tote around, but my little pink shears have done just fine by me and continue to do so.  I've got no complaints whatsoever.

So, there you have my list of hair tools.  I really like to keep things pretty simple - the less the better.  I'm not one for intensely convoluted regimens, but rather a wash, style n' go type of deal.  And I think my tools of choice keenly reflect my preference.  And hair type.

But I realize that everybody is different.  Everyone has their own thang; what works for you may not work well for others, even when it comes down to the basics like the type of comb and brush.  And I must confess that the Nosy Nancy in me finds it really interesting what tools and techniques other non-professionals like me use to style and maintain their hair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment