Friday, November 8, 2013

Adventures In Nail Art


When I was a kid, I used to love painting my nails and would indulge in the hobby often.  My mom even bought me a cute manicure set when I was still in elementary school.  But as I got older, my interest waned a bit as my ever-busy hands weren't always conducive to wearing (and keeping) perfectly polished nails.  But this weekend is my birthday weekend.  Yay!  And so I am going to indulge; instead of wearing a solid color or simply going bare, I have decided to up the ante and trick out my nails with a design.  After scouring the Internet, I found a basic ombré design that perfectly matched my desire for "quick n' easy".  And I didn't do too bad of a job, if I do say so myself...


For this particular design, I needed at least two solid colors and a sponge.  I knew that I wanted to make my nails looks celebratory, so I added in a glitter as well.  Glitter ALWAYS equals party in my book!


So I chose a black lacquer as my base color and coated all digits in the inky darkness.



Next up was the gradient color, which I chose to be gold.  I deposited several drops of the gold polish onto a mixing tray then took the sponge and dabbed it into the polish until it was coated.


And like a rubber stamp, I pressed the coated sponge onto my nails in a staccato fashion, working my way down while focusing a saturation of gold at the tip of my nails.



Next up, I took my beloved gold glitter gloss and put a coat over half the nail.  I then took the side of the brush and scraped it against the edge of my nail so that a concentration of glitter would collect and settle on the far tips of the nails.


I repeated the same design on every nail except for my index finger, on which I omitted the solid gold ombré and just painted a thick coat of glitter over the black base.


On my left hand I continued the design, opting to make my ring finger the all-glitter digit instead of the index.  But then I got another idea...


I switched out the black on my ring finger for a little gold-on-gold action, using the sold gold lacquer as the base and layering the gilded glitter on top. 


So what do you think?  I mean, I like both hands and think they came out cool, but I think I'm leaning towards the left hand as being my favorite.  I think it's the gold digit that's giving it the extra points in my book.  I dunno. 

I DO know that this was pretty fun to do and that it has encouraged me to try more nail art.  In fact, right after I finished I started looking up more designs, which led me to looking up nail art utensils.  Oh, Lord... I do NOT need to get addicted to anything else right now.  I mean, I've been on a makeup tear for a minute and do not need to add nail art supplies and doodads to the list.  No, I must resist!  But I will try another design before too long.  And when I do, I will definitely post it up!

Have a great weekend, everyone!  And, as always, thanks so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment