Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Turned Up Turquoise


Hand and foot season is about to start and although I have a pretty decent line up of colorful nail lacquers with which to layer my nails, I feel that I'm lacking in some shades.  More specifically, I don't have a lot of greens and blues.  I really want to get my hands on a pretty mint shade as well as a robin's egg blue.  Another color I wanted to add to the fold was a nice blue-green/greenish blue.  And so I picked up one that really caught my eye - Turned Up Turquoise by China Glaze.



Turned Up Turquoise is a gorgeous, deep, Caribbean water green-blue.  In the bottle it looks like it would have a shiny finish like most polishes, but it doesn't.  I got concerned when I first started applying it to my nails because instead of a glossy or even a flat matte finish, it has more of a frosted finish.  I would almost liken it to frosted stained glass... with a small hint of metallic.   It's unlike any other nail polish I have and I got nervous, thinking I had an old bottle that went bad.


I applied three coats for a suitable opacity and the color went on with no streaking or bubbling.  And after initially being turned off by its lack of a lustre, I ended up appreciating it instead and became a convert.  I actually like Turned Up's unique frosted sheen and it being paired with its aquatic shade of turquoise just works.


Now I have to tell you that trying to capture the true essence of Turned Up was very tricky.  China Glaze lists it as a neon, which may explain why I was having problems (its light reflecting properties shifting the color), but the polish is not a retina-burning neon in person.  I would describe it as being "bright" instead of "neon", but even with that it was hard to capture the color.  I mean, I even went outside in direct daylight for assistance, but it made no difference.  Turned Up is a green-dominant turquoise and, therefore, a little greener than the photos suggest... so for that I apologize.  But if you're in the market for a lovely island water shade then this definitely warrants a look or two.

China Glaze Turned Up Turquoise can be found at Sally's Beauty Supply and retails for around $6.

No comments:

Post a Comment