Friday, September 7, 2012

Exodus


There's a movement going on.  People are leaving here in droves and at an alarming rate.  Well, maybe it just seems alarming to me because I'm getting older and, therefore, my "circle of life" is getting smaller and smaller.  But my circle of "living" is not; everyday I look forward to seeing and trying something new and/or exciting... which is why it saddens me when I hear of someone passing by their own hands.

Death, period, is not easy an easy concept to grasp.  To have spoken or seen someone one day and then find out that they're gone the next is pretty surreal.  I just found out on one of the social networks that a girl I went to school with who was in my sister's grade (therefore, two years younger than me) just passed away from cancer.  When you look at her profile picture she looks vibrant and young... and healthy.  She looks like she hadn't aged one year!  Who knew she was battling cancer?  And lost?  A few months before that, another childhood friend I knew from the neighborhood passed away after complications from treatment for the same thing - cancer.  Why are there so many cancers, cancers that I've never even heard of?  Cancers in places and body parts I never knew could be affected...  Last year, a schoolmate of mine died in the hospital after complications from weight loss surgery.  Right before that, another schoolmate, a popular athlete in high school, took his own life after battling depression for years.

It always makes me think that you never know what someone is going through, what's on someone's mind.  You never know what a kind word or at least a smile can do for someone's attitude; you may have saved them a day, a hour, a minute more of life.  A chance to gain a different perspective.  So called "rich" people, people who seemingly have it all - money, fame and all the accoutrements that go along with it -  are jumping off bridges, overdosing on pills or blowing themselves away by gun.  I say so called "rich" people because they were rich according to worldly material standards, but poor in spirit.  There was an emptiness... a hole that was not being filled.  So called "success" did not bring about fulfillment.  Just a reoccurring, gnawing pain.  And it hurt... it hurt so badly that they couldn't stand another day, another hour, another minute...  

I know that suicide has been going on for years and that many have committed the act, but that doesn't make it any less tragic to me.  And death is a constant.  I know.  But death at your own hand just makes me wonder what could have made the difference?  An extra kiss?  An extra hug?  Or maybe just having someone to listen to you even if what you're saying doesn't make any sense?  Or makes too much sense?  Or maybe just being understood... and accepted... and wanted?

Life is not for the weak at heart.  It is HARD.  We all know this.  Heartbreaks, heartaches, rejection,  disappointments... bills!  And not everyone handles things the same way.  The bible tells us that "life and death are in the power of the tongue".  So just keep that in mind the next time you cross paths with someone you may or may not know.  Think before you speak.  Or maybe impart some happiness with just a smile.  You never know whose life you could be resuscitating.


No comments:

Post a Comment