Sunday, August 1, 2010

Forever Young...



I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror while helping my niece try on some clothes and I must say that I was disheartened by what I saw.  I recognized my main features, but, at the same time, didn't really recognize myself.  I always see myself (and think of myself) as young, vibrant, forever frozen in time.  But the image reflected back reminded me that we are all getting older.

I should tell you that I am in my thirties, I am in pretty good shape and I really do have a great attitude towards life: I do not take it so seriously that I cannot laugh at myself when deemed appropriate.  But let's face it - NO ONE wants to age.  I looked at myself once then tried to avoid my visage for the rest of the time in the cramped dressing room.

Why does my face look like that?  I don't remember that being there...  Did that always droop like that?

Then I mentally slapped myself.  'You really need to get over yourself,'  I scolded.

Prayerfully, I will continue to get older (look at the alternative!)... but gracefully.  And if I really claim to love myself the way that I do, I have to love myself unconditionally.  Changes are sure to come... more changes, that is.  But I have to be alright with myself no matter what.

Besides, I think I'll always see myself as the young girl I think I am.  I believe I can still "pass".  I'm still the youngin' who still dreams with fervor, only now I have the maturity to realize the tools needed in order to successfully attain them.

It's written all over my face.

1 comment: